Saturday, October 13, 2012

Abstract hell

I'm spending my Saturday reviewing abstracts. I have 85 of them to slog through and that doesn't include the 56 submissions in the other category. I know, I know...but I don't have time to do this during the week. I have a job and kids that take priority on week days. This is a volunteer gig where I donate my time because I care about science and my profession. It's cool to read about science in health & safety areas that I don't get involved in. Reading a well constructed abstract that uses the words "oligonucleotides" or "testing of cadaveric spines" or "NiTi alloy nanoparticles" or "cheese-brushers" in a sentence fills me with joy & happiness that SCIENCE is happening in our field.

Having said that...

Gadzooks, people! WTH? I shredded my first abstract before sunrise. Read the freaking directions. Didn't you have to learn to do that in grade school? Good grammar is not optional. Don't tell me that you have results that you'll share at conference and you'll tell me what you've learned when you present. That isn't going to get by the review process. You have to spell it out. None of us can read your mind and we're not taking your word for it. Waving your magic wand does not get you from your objective to your conclusion. In the name of science you have to follow some kind of logical path. 

Science is awesome. Learn to talk about it. Learn to write about it. Sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment